It Doesn’t Pay to Wait


Technology is constantly improving, and when you’re trying to sell efficiency, you'll inevitably encounter prospects who want to wait for “the next big thing” to hit the market or for production costs to decrease before they’re willing to buy. So how do you overcome this objection? Show your prospect the cost of delay. In many cases, you can pay for the current generation of technology through savings long before the new one becomes available.

A couple years ago, I met a utility-scale solar installation developer who we’ll call Tom. He told me that he was tired of hearing his prospects say, “I'm going to wait on these panels because the cost of silicon is going down and the panels will likely be 50% cheaper in five years.” What did he do about this situation? He said, “I finally decided to put an Excel spreadsheet together to prove that the cost of the panels is only 20% of the job. Copper, framework, labor, and all that other stuff is the other 80% of the cost. And all those things are going up in price rather than down.”

So even if the protesting prospect was accurate and the cost of the panels was going to be 50% less in five years, the price of 80% of the job was going up by 3% a year, compounded annually. On top of that, if the prospect decided to wait five years, he would lose five years’ worth of potential PV production.

Tom said that as soon as he started showing people the spreadsheet, his prospects had little difficulty understanding that waiting for the price of silicon to go down was foolhardy.

I think the moral of the story is clear: don’t let prospects wait to buy.  Make the effort to quantify the cost of delay and share it with them.  Let the figures do the selling for you.

Want our daily content delivered to your inbox? Sign up for the EEFG Insiders mailing list! http://www.eefg.com/eefg-insiders
By noreply@blogger.com (Efficiency Sales Professional Institute-) | |
next post → ← previous post

Stay in Touch

Call Us

We'd love to hear from you. Call us at 808-333-7225 and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Recent Insights

  • Sales Productivity

        As a business owner and sales professional, having the ability to analyze metrics and performance statistics is vital to my success. Early in my career when I was working primarily in sales, I would log and analyze all... read more

  • Now or Never

        Does your To-Do list have hundreds of items on it? Do you often find yourself putting off tasks for later? If so, you may want to consider reexamining the way in which you manage tasks. While the To-Do... read more

  • Highlight Your Experience

      One of the best ways to capture a prospect’s attention is to highlight your experience working in similar situations. While it’s not necessarily a good idea to “toot your own horn” (particularly when you’re first introducing yourself), emphasizing specific... read more